Wednesday, March 5, 2014

40 days. 40 nights.

1,017 days.

1017 days since I wrote on here. 1017 days since I felt the need to become vulnerable, let my guard down and let you all back in. 

1,017 days has been long enough.

So why now? Why get back in the blog-o-sphere when it seems like everyone is blogging about everything under the sun? Well, I've been challenged and I need you all to keep me accountable.

Are you ready?

Let's go.

Today is Ash Wednesday and so begins the season of Lent. Over the past 27 years I have not really "followed" the lent tradition...fasting (or giving up something) for 40 days. In the past I've just kind of joked about giving up coffee (which lasted, oh, NEVER), giving up sweets (somewhat doable), or giving up social media (that one didn't last more than a day either). But this weekend at church I felt an incredible conviction that this was the year I needed to truly "fast" and give up something that means a great deal to me. I racked my brain for something that wouldn't be super significant in my life...but then realized "Hello, Becky...that isn't fasting!"...so I started digging deeper. What means a lot to me, what do I spend much of my day randomly thinking about...what would be a true sacrifice for me to give up?

And the winner is...

Shopping. 



Oof. This is going to be a rough one. See, if you know me well you know that I LOVE to shop. I LOVE style, I LOVE fashion. The thicker the Instyle magazine the better. The higher the heel, the better. The greater the sale, the better. Daily I pour through fashion blogs and Pinterest trying to find inspiration.

See style, fashion, clothing, for me, is the way that I express myself. It is the outlet where I can rebel a bit, get creative, and define who I am. It is also something that I spend a lot of my time thinking about...how can I get more creative with what I have, what new thing can I purchase that will make my closet amazing. 

I know it may seem silly to some people...here I am, living in America worried about what I wear each day, all the while desiring and wanting more, and more and more. But for some people food is their vice, chocolate is what takes the edge off, drinking a glass of wine soothes the soul (which I won't argue...it is does it for me too), buying new tech stuff or crafting takes the crazy out of your day. For me, it's shopping.

So, I've felt super challenged to give up clothing, shoe and accessory shopping for the next 40 days and 40 nights. I want to take that money that I have been spending on myself and give it back in a spirit of generosity. I want to take the time that I spend sitting and thinking about clothes, and refocus it back on prayer and talking with God. 

Here is where you guys come in. With my 40 day shopping fast, I have challenged myself to take the contents of my closet and remix them for 40 days. After all, I've got 1/2 a walk-in closet full of possibilities, and if I'm completely honest, about a 1/4 of another walk in closet full of off-season clothing. I've got more than enough to make this challenge work, and I'm planning on documenting it on here. Accountability does wonders for me...although I'm warning you already...I get SUPER awkward at taking pictures...

Case in point:




But here goes nothing. 40 days and 40 nights. God is good and I'm excited to see what He teaches me through this challenge. 

And if this isn't the longest blog post already...here is today's outfit...well actually scratch that, it was yesterdays outfit. It is almost 3:00pm and I am still in my work out clothes from this morning's yoga class...don't judge me. 

White shirt: H&M (old) Sweatshirt/sweater and Jeans: Old Navy (here and here)
Booties: Urban Outfitters (old), Necklace: Norah Necklace (Stella and Dot) 

Cheers to Day 1!

xo Becky

1 comment: